A devastating fire ripped through Hong Kong’s Wang Fuk Court apartment complex, claiming 94 lives and leaving scores unaccounted for. Firefighters battled the blaze for two days amidst severe obstacles, with the fire believed to have started in scaffolding. Investigations are underway as residents report a lack of fire alarms.
Hong Kong fire Firefighters in Hong Kong battled for a second day to extinguish a devastating blaze that tore through the Wang Fuk Court apartment complex, with the death toll rising to 94 in what officials describe as one of the city’s worst disasters in decades. Scores remain unaccounted for as rescuers continue combing charred flats in the Tai Po district.Thick smoke was still seeping from upper floors on Thursday as rescuers moved from unit to unit with flashlights, navigating blackened corridors and unstable debris. The fire, which spread rapidly across seven of the estate’s eight towers, engulfed parts of the 32-storey blocks for more than 24 hours after first erupting on Wednesday afternoon.Hong Kong Fire Out Of Control: Over 100 Casualties, Hundreds Missing; 3 Held For ManslaughterDeputy director of Fire Services Operations Derek Armstrong Chan said: “Our firefighting operation is almost complete.” He added that crews were working hard “to prevent the debris and embers from flaring up. What’s next is the search and rescue operation.”
Firefighters describe severe obstacles
Chan said crews “faced many hurdles”, citing the speed of the fire’s spread, the need to divert manpower to handle constant calls for help, and dangerous conditions inside the towers. “Debris and scaffolding were falling from upper floors,” he said. Emergency vehicles were unable to reach parts of the site, blocked by collapsed bamboo scaffolding and construction materials.Extreme heat and darkness hampered progress, forcing rescuers to fight flames and assist trapped residents with limited visibility. Video from the scene showed firefighters working in heavily smoke-filled rooms as sparks continued to erupt from several windows.Authorities confirmed that at least 76 people were injured, including 11 firefighters. Twelve survivors are in critical condition, while 28 remain in serious condition.
Cause under investigation as anger grows
Officials said the fire was believed to have started in bamboo scaffolding and plastic netting wrapped around the buildings for major renovation work. Hong Kong’s anti-corruption body has launched a probe into the construction project, and police have arrested three men on suspicion of negligently leaving foam packaging on site.Residents told AFP they heard no fire alarms and had relied on knocking doors to warn neighbours. “The fire spread so quickly,” said a resident surnamed Suen. “Ringing doorbells, knocking on doors, alerting the neighbours, telling them to leave — that’s what the situation was like.”City leader John Lee said contact had been lost early Thursday with 279 people, although firefighters later confirmed they had reached some of them. The government plans a full investigation and safety review of all estates undergoing repair work.As dawn broke on Friday, firefighters said the blaze could be fully extinguished overnight, allowing a full count of those still missing once every flat has been opened and searched.